Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thoughts from Beth Dalisky


As my annual Guatemala trip approached, I wondered if after all these years of coming back, if somehow I was “used to” all the experiences and gifts that we often find working with each other and with the people in the villages. I watched in awe as a 5 year-old little girl swallowed some medicine for her nausea caused by chronic parasites like a pro. I watched how fellow Guatemalans volunteered their time to help their fellow countrymen – something not as commonly done as in the US. I watched providers practice the true art of medicine in an environment lacking the latest technology where sometimes the only thing they could offer was a sympathetic ear. I watched translators hone their vocabulary to try to bridge communication gaps. I watched the photographer capture the emotions of the people. I watched the cooks work their magic with no running water. At the end of the trip, I realized that no, I would never get “used to” the common thread of compassion and desire to help our fellow humankind that brings us together regardless of our country of origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment